Avalon Marshes migrants

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Total Posts:  286
Joined  06-12-2015

25 December 2023 16:50

The pale ibis and one of the dark birds with the big egret flock today just west of Sweets Café. Wonder where No3 is.

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

22 December 2023 20:27

3 ibis in Westhay car park field this pm with loads of egrets. 2 ibis are quite dark, 1 one distinctly paler.

Mike Moxon

Mike Moxon
Total Posts:  589
Joined  18-12-2017

15 December 2023 20:46

Glossies previously preferred field does seem to have dried out somewhat, as has the pool on road (a bit). Apparently they were on floods other side of reserve, but ring-necked duck is still on favoured pool with Tufties. Plenty of all 3 egrets, plus Grey herons opposite reserve entrance, plus 500 lapwing in field beyond (put up by a Marsh Harrier fly by)

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

13 December 2023 18:09

The drake RND and the 2 Glossy Ibis were all not far east of Westhay NNR car park this morning (1/2 km and 1km respectively) and giving great views from the road.  Still loads of Chaffinch hanging round the stubble fields on the south edge of the reserve but I couldn’t find a Brambling.  A few Reed Buntings were mixed in.

Big Golden Plover and Lapwing flock visible from the hides at Greylake with c30 Dunlin.  Nice to be able to see them on the ground.  Pretty good duck numbers too.

The only surprise for me this am was an ad Med Gull with a huge flock of BHGs in flooded roadside fields just north of Glastonbury.  A few of various other gull sps mixed in.  It’s fantastic having so many gulls around.

Masses of Pintail on Noah’s today I’m told, maybe up to 500, and 6 Scaup on Long Drove.  There are also masses of wildfowl on a severely flooded West Waste (just NE of Meare) but checking them out would really take time!  Lots of Wigeon flying round on the south edge of HW too.  So many wildfowl in the area at the mo…

Reports yesterday of a drake RND on VP1 lagoon – interesting.

Jeff Hazell (Levels-birder)

Total Posts:  604
Joined  01-12-2015

11 December 2023 16:38

11-Dec-2023
No sign of any Scaup on the large pit at Long Drove, Sharpham just after mid-day, just a small flock of c.15 Pochard and some very distant Tufties feeding close-in to the reed edge. The 6 Barnacle Geese still present on the large grass fields, but distant and tucked well down in a dip in the ground with c 20 Greylags - easily overlooked from Sharpham Lane.

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

10 December 2023 17:19

5 Scaup confirmed today by Sean D at LD, who also saw female RNDs on Noah’s and Walton’s

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

09 December 2023 16:49

Great to see that 2 ibis have been seen yesterday and today at Westhay.  Wonder if there is a third, could be the Ham Wall bird seen a few times recently I guess, inc yesterday.

The drake Ring-necked Duck was on the 2nd pool (south of rd) east of the car park today and he’s starting to look smarter around the bill.  I couldn’t see the female anywhere.  A/the female Goldeneye was even further east (north of rd).  4 Egy Geese close by.

I think there were a few Scaup on Long Drove today, perhaps 4 or 5.  Too windy and the light too poor to be sure (unexpected sun!)

Lots of birds at Greylake today inc plenty of Golden Plover visible from the hide and a few Dunlin.  2 Crane.  All a bit distant and also in poor light though.

Joined  01-12-2015

09 December 2023 16:03

9-Dec-2023
The 6 Barnacle Geese still present at the same Sharpham locn this afternoon, and also 2 Egyptian Geese that were feeding close to the road.

Joined  01-12-2015

09 December 2023 12:41

9-Dec-2023
The six Barnacle Geese still present this morning at Sharpham, feeding distantly with Greylags on the large grassy fields next to Woodlands Agriculture. Note: due to severe road flooding only accessible by car from Walton along Whitely Road becomes Sharpham Lane. Sharpham Lane from the other direction impassable in my car at the sharp-bends next to the fishing lake. Drove in until it reached door-sill level then had to reverse out.

Jon Mattick

Jon Mattick
Total Posts:  63
Joined  12-12-2015

07 December 2023 22:48

Ah - actually I did forget to mention another 4 on Tadham Moor later, but seriously I think these are the “Westhay contingent”, mostly roosting at Oaks Drove and thereabouts. Be interesting to know if the Noahs Roost numbers have increased in the last few days.

Mike Moxon

Mike Moxon
Total Posts:  589
Joined  18-12-2017

07 December 2023 18:19

You’re missing some then, as 660 were counted going to roost last month!

Jon Mattick

Jon Mattick
Total Posts:  63
Joined  12-12-2015

06 December 2023 16:38

Think the Cattle Egrets have returned from wherever they have been, I counted 380 around Westhay area this afternoon, 230 North Chine Drove and Blakeway and another 150 on Godney Moor, Yeaps and Tilleys Drove. A flock in one field at Tilleys Drove were accompanied by 22 Common Gulls and I flushed a Green Sandpiper from the roadside ditch at the same place.
Fieldfares everywhere, two particularly large flocks at River Bridge Drove and Butt Lake Rd/Green Drove, spent some time looking through these but they were Waxwingless.

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

03 December 2023 18:09

Fun and games at Westhay this afternoon:
I think the RND pair were on the usual lake but they were asleep so I’m not 100% sure.
3m and 5f Goosander gave terrific views from London Drove but flew off late afternoon - off to Cheddar perhaps.
125 C Egret had come in to roost by dark and with 113 at Noah’s per Sean D, numbers seem to be right down, presumably due to cold weather movement (and a Med Gull for Sean too at Noah’s plus 1f RND at Decoy).
I seemed to be right in the middle of a Fieldfare roost while I watched the egret roost.
A too-brief Chiffchaff may well have been Sibe.
And most odd of all, a Glossy Ibis flew over, north to south and out of sight at 1537, another did the same at 1539 and a 3rd at 1543 but that landed with the egrets and remained til dusk - 1 bird or 3, I really don’t know.

(2m and 2f Scaup at Cheddar this am by the way)

Joined  01-12-2015

03 December 2023 17:51

3-Dec-2023
Shapwick Heath (West): At 16:30 hrs 2 Woodcock flew across the South Drain at tree-top height, as viewed looking west along the drain from the Shapwick roadbridge.

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

02 December 2023 17:18

Duck and drake RND on the usual Westhay pool this morning, and just around the corner, a female Merlin perched up in an arable field south of the reserve.  All in pretty thick fog, which looked incredible from up on the Mendips.

Water Pipit seen today on HW I hear.