Local Walk

Gareth Pashley

Gareth Pashley
Total Posts:  61
Joined  26-12-2020

04 April 2021 19:43

No worries….

Oddly enough my wander took me down Longwood Lane yesterday. I only spotted Canada geese on there but I couldn’t get to see much, the only view I could get was by standing on the gate. Similarly the pond on Gypsy Lane, I crawled onto a vantage point on the bank next to the road, couldn’t really see much but it looks intriguing.

There was a really interesting little area in between Burlescombe and Eastbrook House, just before you cross the railway line. You can’t get down into it but there is a mix of habitats, woodland, a stream, wetland with thick bush. Small but lots going on.

Stephen Foster

Stephen Foster
Total Posts:  46
Joined  20-12-2020

04 April 2021 16:36

Thanks for the info Gareth. I added Coots to the walking list last week on a small lake along Longwood Lane on Whiteball Hill (ST08455 18277)  - this lake is just across the border in Devon.

Gareth Pashley

Gareth Pashley
Joined  26-12-2020

03 April 2021 08:57

Not sure how far you’re willing to walk to include coots on your walkable list but there are at least two on this pond.

https://goo.gl/maps/NFomvFedH7Wz1cQPA

I walked there from work in Milverton yesterday. It’s on private land but is easily visible through hedges when on the public footpath. There are a pair nesting, roughly where I’ve placed the marker, also Canada geese, tufted ducks, mallard, moorhen.

Stephen Foster

Stephen Foster
Joined  20-12-2020

01 April 2021 16:32

The Blackcaps were at Chipley in the bushes north of the track also a pair of Goldcrests in the ivy with beaks full of nesting material. Only a pair of Canada Geese on the lake as far as I could see.

Gareth Pashley

Gareth Pashley
Joined  26-12-2020

01 April 2021 09:35

Were the blackcaps near the river at Runnington? I saw my first of the year there on Sunday.
A swallow was spotted from the office at Milverton yesterday as well.

I spent ages near the lake at Chipley on Sunday, I think some small birds there but because you can’t get near neither binoculars or camera could get a clear view, really frustrating!

Stephen Foster

Stephen Foster
Joined  20-12-2020

31 March 2021 21:40

An enjoyable walk along paths & lanes north of Wellington today. All the usual species seen including Green & GS Woodpeckers, Jay, Nuthatch. Treecreeper, Raven, 2 smart Yellowhammers, a pair of Blackcaps & 4 singing Skylarks. But the highlight was my first 2 Swallows of the year.