Avalon Marshes migrants

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Total Posts:  286
Joined  06-12-2015

03 April 2021 18:41

Have been out in Somerset a few days this week, what a county we have.

Catcott first thing today - 3 Spoonbill. At least two looked to be adult and one was markedly ‘less white’ than the other two. How many do we have at the mo…? Could be that 3 are commuting between Steart and Catcott from reports today. There were definitely 4 at Steart at one point today. Also a large Peregrine over Catcott.

Otherwise this week, small numbers of Willow Warblers at various sites on the Marshes, lots of Sand Martins, 3 Redpoll and a Goldeneye on Shapwick, ‘the’ drake Garganey on Meare Heath (I know there have been more), 2 Egy Geese at Westhay (and good views of a pike), a couple of Blackwit on Ham Wall and a few Snipe visible.  All good stuff!

Will Langdon

Will Langdon
Total Posts:  6
Joined  23-03-2016

22 December 2020 19:30

Had a look at both Shapwick and Ham Wall today. It was a fairly quick whip round, so wasn’t able to thoroughly check the impressive numbers of wildfowl on Noah’s etc, but a nice variety.

Shapwick: Single Whooper seen a couple of times in the NE corner of Noah’s (viewable from the track north of the lake), also a GWE and excellent views of a hunting Bittern there (the latter just by the entrance track). Full list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S77841281.

Ham Wall: 10 GWE on Walton’s, including red-ringed AAC, and a Water Pipit from VP1 (in the NE corner of the scrape). Full list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S77841732

I then popped in at Burtle on the way back, where as reported by others, there were at least 18 Cattle Egret feeding in the field at ST426424, along with the Ruddy Shelduck and 3 Egyptian Geese, with a GWE in the water-logged Maize field to the south, by the road. Full list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S77841833

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

20 December 2020 16:51

A funny old day… Shapwick this am, the 2 Whoopers still, and still elusive, plus an Egyptian Goose on the tin hut. Most of the Wigeon have decamped from Meare Heath to Noah’s.

On the flooded fields at Westhay NNR, a Redshank, at least I think it was. Not the best view and it flew off into the sun. If it’s not a Redshank, it must be a L Legs. Have seen neither at Westhay ever. Also a Peregrine over and a Green Sand on the roadside excavated pit.

From the Westhay/Burtle road, 3 more Egy Geese and the Ruddy Shelduck (as noted already by Frankie).  Plenty of egrets about but I only checked a few, 2 Cattles were east of Westhay at least.

Second hand reports: SEOwl on Tealham this pm, and on Ham Wall recently, Jack Snipe, Water Pipit, Egy Geese and Ruddy Shelduck.

Martin Sage

Martin Sage
Total Posts:  457
Joined  07-12-2015

01 December 2020 12:07

December 1 list so far 51 bird species, mostly between the Meare Heath tower hide and VP2. Highlights.
Meare Heath: very high numbers of Wigeon and Shoveler, one Great Crested Grebe, 1 Shelduck flew in and stayed for 10 minutes before leaving. Male Marsh Harrier.
Car park areas. Goldcrest, Chiff Chaff.
VP1: 2 Great white Egrets. Teal, Snipe. female Marsh Harrier.
railway line: Redpoll, Song Thrush. Little Grebes, Tufted Duck.
VP2 Lapwings, Black Tailed Godwit.

Later, Sharpham lane. Cattle Egrets, Canada and Greylag Geese.
My Westhay garden: Great Spotted Woodpecker, Pied Wagtail and the usual species. 
Fantastic morning to be out and about locally.

neville hiscox

neville hiscox
Total Posts:  222
Joined  03-01-2016

30 November 2020 20:34

Today and also on Friday afternoon 40 plus   Cattle egret in the fields along the Blakeway

Martin Sage

Martin Sage
Joined  07-12-2015

28 November 2020 16:45

Very good news Andy. That is a month later than in recent years but I will be there tomorrow to try to find them.

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

28 November 2020 15:50

2 ad Whoopers on Noah’s this morning, good to see them back

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

15 November 2020 16:20

I was away for much of the autumn but have been going down to the Levels on the last few weekends. The main feature has been building duck numbers inc the fantastic Wigeon flock on Meare Heath scrape. Today, half were on Noah’s however…

Otherwise, Stonechats are now scattered around in very small numbers and a Grey Wag put in an appearance on Ham Wall today. Last weekend, a probable Merlin dashed north over Ham Wall car park but I just didn’t see enough to clinch it;  one Blackwit was on Ham Wall.

Tufted Duck and Pochard numbers are oddly low. I wonder where they all are. No Whoopers, Goosander or Egyptian Geese either.

Mike Moxon

Mike Moxon
Total Posts:  589
Joined  18-12-2017

07 October 2020 11:49

Seems that glossy ibis has dropped in at shapwick (& Kentish plover again at Burnham)

Martin Sage

Martin Sage
Joined  07-12-2015

01 October 2020 11:52

First of the month check on Ham Wall and Shapwick produced 49 species between 08.00 and 11.00. Notable ones were:
Swallow. 5 heading south over Meare Heath
Bearded Tit 2 on Meare Heath and 3 on Noah’s.
Bittern one on Noah’s.
Ruff 2, Blackwit 1 and Green Sand 4 all at VP2 along with a flock of Lapwings
Egyptian Goose 2 near the tin shed on Noah’s
Wigeon. 300+ on Meare Heath and many more on Noah’s plus several flocks coming down from high up so probably new arrivals.
Willow Warbler. One very yellowish bird near car park.
Goldcrest, several Jays collecting acorns, at least 4 Marsh Harriers and a Sparrowhawk.

Alison Morgan

Alison Morgan
Total Posts:  85
Joined  13-12-2015

29 September 2020 22:13

1 ruff at VP2 late afternoon today.

Martin Sage

Martin Sage
Joined  07-12-2015

24 September 2020 19:21

Plenty of activity over Noahs Lake this morning 0940-11.00. One juv. Osprey (ringed), 3 Hobby, 5 Marsh Harriers, one Kingfisher, one Egyptian Goose, one Cattle Egret over, 2 GWE, increasing numbers of ducks including more than 100 Wigeon, a few Teal and Gadwall, GC Grebe, Coots etc. Very few passerines seen or heard between the car park and Noah’s.

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

19 September 2020 17:01

The juv Osprey still using Noah’s this am. Also 2 Hobby and a Stonechat there.
On Ham Wall, a drake Garganey on the 2VP lagoon (west end for a change) and 1 Hobby.

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

12 September 2020 21:30

1 Garganey on Noah’s this am (NW corner) and a Ruff was the best on 2VP lagoon. The Garganey must be a drake as it has one retained breeding plumage scapular. Single Hobbies on both sides.

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Joined  06-12-2015

10 September 2020 21:12

A juv Osprey heading west over Ham Wall and 65 Wigeon on Meare Heath were this evening’s highlights.  The Osprey was around 2VP earlier apparently and I saw it later in the evening on Noah’s.

Otherwise on 2VP lagoon were a single Ruff and just the usual suspects. 13 Snipe were visible.  Again, no Garganey.