Huntspill sea wall - nature red in tooth and claw

Alison Everett

Alison Everett
Total Posts:  227
Joined  01-12-2015

14 September 2017 18:15

Grey Phalerope still present in same area, Sea birds included Great Skua, Arctic Terns off Burnham beach very distant Sabine’s Gull , one Guillemot and a few Manx Shearwater. One Wheatear still about.

Simon Cost

Simon Cost
Total Posts:  72
Joined  30-11-2015

13 September 2017 17:42

Phalarope still by 70m sign between 3 and 4. Single gannet flew over the sluice, and at least 4 wheatears along the sea wall.

Richard Pratt

Richard Pratt
Total Posts:  50
Joined  10-12-2015

13 September 2017 14:47

Single late swift over the sluice at 1pm whilst sat in the car sheltering from the rain.

Martin Sage

Martin Sage
Total Posts:  457
Joined  07-12-2015

13 September 2017 13:12

I must have just missed you Stephen. I was there from 11.30 to 12.30 and was amazed to see how comfortable the Phalarope seemed to be on very rough water, only taking off briefly when a breaking wave was about to engulf it. The Fulmar was still alive but looked very sick. Also just a single ringed Plover and some Wheatear. Another visitor reported some distant Manx Shearwaters. Thanks to Brian Hill for his tweet that sent me to look for it and for pointing me in the right direction.

Richard Pratt

Richard Pratt
Total Posts:  50
Joined  10-12-2015

12 September 2017 17:58

Winter plumage guillemot on water quite close in between sluice and outfall this morning. Then, alerted by 2 other birders to 2 grey phalaropes also on the estuary, after spotting one flying downriver, I was sad to see the other being consumed by a young herring gull on the sea wall just past the outfall on the Brue side. Checked for no ring and then left for the gull, which quickly returned to finish its meal. Pics on my Fb page. Will also post on Stunning Somerset page idc.