Cattle Egrets - Westhay

Susan Caola

Susan Caola
Total Posts:  10
Joined  08-10-2016

21 July 2017 21:39

Yesterday afternoon there were 7 cattle egrrets in full summer plumage in with cattle on the right hand side of the road coming from Westhay towards Wedmore, opposite the disused peat works.  They later flew to the other side of the road, where there were more cattle.  However they were much harder to see as the grass was longer.
It would be interesting to know if these were part of the breeding group at Ham Wall.  Anyone any thoughts?
John and Guy.  Texted Alison as soon as I found them, on my way home after we left Westhay, and she tweeted out the news.  Hope you got to see them.

Martin Sage

Martin Sage
Total Posts:  457
Joined  07-12-2015

16 July 2017 13:55

I also saw a single Cattle Egret among cattle beside the North Drain where it crosses London drove in Westhay Moor at around 9.30. The farmer told me he had seen up to 6 there several times recently.

Jeff Hazell (Levels-birder)

Jeff Hazell (Levels-birder)
Total Posts:  610
Joined  01-12-2015

16 July 2017 12:49

At least 6 Cattle Egrets (all adults) feeding among cattle at mid-day in roadside field on the B3151 Westhay to Wedmore road, where it crosses the North Drain just north of the Tealham Moor turn-off (7 reported here early morning).