’ Polish’  Mute Swans on Noah’s Lake Shapwick

Robin Morrison

Robin Morrison
Total Posts:  203
Joined  30-11-2015

20 August 2017 20:36

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for the “heads-up” on these Polish Cygnets. I’m not sure that I would have spotted these birds without your posting. Also thanks to Andy for the images on Twitter

Alan Ashman

Alan Ashman
Total Posts:  387
Joined  01-12-2015

16 August 2017 17:36

For at least the last six years ’ Polish ’ Mute Swan cygnets have appeared on Noah’s Lake , In 2015 and 2016 I did not seen any but today, being misplaced by the fact that Noah’s hide is closed, placed me way up the railway track on a seat where a brood of 5 Cygnets included 2 ‘Polish’ and three standard Grey models could be seen and photographed.  For those not familiar, the so-called ‘Polish’ Mute Swan is a genetically determined colour variant, which results in white cygnets with pale greyish-pink legs and feet. The two white cygnets dutifully raised their feet (after half an hour) so that they could be inspected. The bill colour too approaches pale orange whereas the ‘normal ’ cygnets still have dark bills.
It would be nice to know if anyone knows where any of these variants have been seen in S.W. England as records seem to favour the south east of the country.