Spotted Sand - SBR - Thu 4 Aug

Tim Farr

Tim Farr
Total Posts:  6
Joined  04-12-2015

07 August 2016 14:29

Access - Sun 7 Aug onwards.
Please will all visiting birders note that there is NO ACCESS to the Fishing Lodge from now on.
The bird was apparently still present this morning, but I did not see it. With all the sailing, fishing and canoeing going on it is most likely to be seen at the southern end. Park in the car park and follow the path south along the edge of the reservoir. A reminder that the site is strictly NO DOGS.

Tim Farr

Tim Farr
Joined  04-12-2015

05 August 2016 20:50

Access - Sat 6 Aug
I have arranged access to view only from the Fishing Lodge tomorrow but birders must get permission from the warden first. There were a number of visiting birders today who ignored the No Public Access signs and trespassed on Wessex Water land and had to be asked to leave, if this continues I am certain access will be removed completely. Not only is this a blatant disregard of the site rules, but the bird is flighty and walking around will only disturb it and ruin the chances of it being seen by everyone.
Thanks to all those who did seek permission today.

Jeff Hazell (Levels-birder)

Total Posts:  610
Joined  01-12-2015

05 August 2016 20:04

5-Aug-2016
I drove in and parked by the Fishing-Lodge just after mid-day today. I then went in to the Lodge and spoke to the man in charge, who was very nice and warmly received me. I asked if I could have permission for a party of 4 Somerset birdwatchers to scan the reservoir from the Lodge and he readily gave his permission, taking me outside to indicate where and where-not we could go – basically the grass area immediately in front of the Lodge but not beyond the fence-line to its left as one looks out from it. I thanked him and shook-hands and then he left us to it. We spent about 20 mins scanning without success and then departed, driving off to the public meadow area, where the hide used to be, along the reservoir’s southern-arm and from here I eventually located the adult Spotted Sandpiper feeding along the opposite shoreline.

As Tim has said, please do not assume that entry will be allowed to the fishing-lodge area over this coming weekend.

Tim Farr

Tim Farr
Joined  04-12-2015

05 August 2016 13:38

Unfortunately I am hearing reports of visitors looking for the Spot Sand going to the Fishing Lodge and other private areas. Please DO NOT do this as it will result in future sightings from the site being withheld. The bird is mobile, it was viewable from public areas for periods of time yesterday.
I don’t mind putting news out of rarities on my patch, but if people are going to disregard requests to view only from public areas I’ll not bother sharing news in future.

Ash Warne

Ash Warne
Total Posts:  23
Joined  01-12-2015

04 August 2016 23:04

Tim - thanks for putting the news of the Spotted Sandpiper out so promptly this morning - enabled Paul Clement and I to leave Durleigh Res very quickly this morning and get over to SBR and see the bird before 11:00 hrs - glad we didn’t leave it to the pm!!  It eventually came to within about 30 - 40 metres for a few seconds, but as you said on Twitter “very flighty”.  A great find by you, and reward for all those hours you put in as a patch birder at SBR.

Also seen today:

2 Yellow Wag at Wall Common (very odd watching Yellow Wags feeding with a Dunlin & Ringed Plover flock at the mouth of the freshwater water course!)

3 Green Sand at the shallow end of Durleigh Res.

2 Hobby over Noah’s

Once again - many thanks Tim

Total Posts:  610
Joined  01-12-2015

04 August 2016 19:34

4-Aug-2016
Well found Tim! Myself and a few others couldn’t locate it at the southern end from near where the hide once was, nor from the road-causeway, between 14:00 & 17:00hrs (apparently we just missed it), although we did see 3 (or 4) Common Sandpipers, single Little Egret and an adult Peregrine.

Tim Farr

Tim Farr
Joined  04-12-2015

04 August 2016 12:31

Shock horror, I’ve posted something on the SOS forum!
I found a summer-plumaged Spotted Sandpiper at Sutton Bingham Reservoir this morning. Originally in an area of no public access it has moved to the southern end (as of 11am) where it can be seen on the far bank. There are also four Common Sandpipers present, but as the Spotted Sand is in sum-plum it sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyone wishing to go for the bird, please respect the rights of way at the reservoir (large parts are not open to the public) and the site is strictly no dogs.