Crook Peak to Shute Shelve Hill SSSI

 
Daniel Watson
 
Avatar
 
 
Daniel Watson
Total Posts:  131
Joined  18-02-2018
 
 
 
23 June 2020 14:07
 

A cracking adult male HB loitered over the garden for approx 5-10mins this morning before gaining significant height (approx. 1km) and heading ESE (I’m having that on my res list!). Given some of the garden species I’ve recorded over the course of the lockdown (Crane, Firecrest, Crossbill, multiple Osprey and Red kites etc) vis-mig from Cross plain (about 100m above my garden) should be a worthwhile pursuit for those wanting to try something a bit different in the spring and autumn.

 
Oli Gilman
 
Avatar
 
 
Oli Gilman
Total Posts:  56
Joined  24-11-2017
 
 
 
09 June 2020 21:51
 

Not the shrike I was wishing for (there seem to be a few being reported in the SW at the moment) but tree pipit, skylark, green woodpecker, stonechat, fledgling common whitethroats and large numbers of larus spp overhead (presumably from Cheddar Res, heading to sea) made for an excellent evening’s birding.

 
neville hiscox
 
Avatar
 
 
neville hiscox
Total Posts:  226
Joined  03-01-2016
 
 
 
08 June 2020 19:56
 

working in Cross today, Lunchtime viewing gave me a Jay, 3 Buzzards spiralling on the updraft,and single Red Kite[first this year], all within 20 minutes

 
Mike Moxon
 
Avatar
 
 
Mike Moxon
Total Posts:  784
Joined  18-12-2017
 
 
 
04 June 2020 18:04
 

Stonechat with at least 2 fledglings, 1 singing tree pipit, chiffchaff & 1 whitethroat around Cross Plain (east end of wavering). Plus a little owl on the edge of Cross & male sparrowhawk at Compton Bishop.

 
Oli Gilman
 
Avatar
 
 
Oli Gilman
Total Posts:  56
Joined  24-11-2017
 
 
 
30 May 2020 22:29
 

Fairly quiet this evening, I’d imagine due to the heat, but did see my first group of swifts over the down for species #46.

 
Frankie Macrow
 
Avatar
 
 
Frankie Macrow
Total Posts:  205
Joined  11-10-2016
 
 
 
29 May 2020 19:51
 

Did same walk and was lucky enough to get good views of at least four tree pipits. First time up there for me and will definitely be back ere long, lots of promising areas but I was with a non birder so limited birding.

 
Oli Gilman
 
Avatar
 
 
Oli Gilman
Total Posts:  56
Joined  24-11-2017
 
 
 
24 May 2020 14:39
 
Mike Moxon - 15 May 2020 07:43 AM

Nightjar are up on Mendip. You’ve got more chance of finding a wryneck or ring ousel during autumn migration.

UPDATE - Spent this afternoon on Crook Peak, Wavering Down & Compton Bishop - chiffchaff, willow warblers & Blackcap, GS woodpecker, raven, linnet, greenfinch, stonechat, mistle thrush, a few pipit (but not giving themselves up easily), jay, stock dove, buzzard & a red kite east along ridge about 2pm before flying out over CB, chased by jackdaws. Also a grey heron over the Moors to the south, plus a red admiral & a damselfly.

Thanks Mike, I shall take a few evening walks and keep an eye/ear out.

I managed to pick up a group of Housemartins moving south to north over the ridge this morning, taking my species total to 45. Otherwise, fairly quiet due to the wind, but Stonechat, Skylark and Linnet ever-present.

 
Mike Moxon
 
Avatar
 
 
Mike Moxon
Total Posts:  784
Joined  18-12-2017
 
 
 
15 May 2020 07:43
 

Nightjar are up on Mendip. You’ve got more chance of finding a wryneck or ring ousel during autumn migration.

UPDATE - Spent this afternoon on Crook Peak, Wavering Down & Compton Bishop - chiffchaff, willow warblers & Blackcap, GS woodpecker, raven, linnet, greenfinch, stonechat, mistle thrush, a few pipit (but not giving themselves up easily), jay, stock dove, buzzard & a red kite east along ridge about 2pm before flying out over CB, chased by jackdaws. Also a grey heron over the Moors to the south, plus a red admiral & a damselfly.

 
Oli Gilman
 
Avatar
 
 
Oli Gilman
Total Posts:  56
Joined  24-11-2017
 
 
 
14 May 2020 22:51
 

Thanks for your kind words chaps.

I’ve kept an eye out for Dartford Warblers, knowing they’d been seen there historically, but no luck so far. Very sad to hear that they’ve been lost from the area, as I’d love to see one - fingers crossed they make a return.

Pipits are not my forte by any stretch of the imagination…but I was pretty convinced I managed to find some individuals that were distinct from the ubiquitous Meadow Pipits. I agree, it looks ideal for a Shrike with all the gorse, I’ll keep my eyes open and will definitely continue watching the area regularly. Pied/Spotted Flycatcher, Redstart and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker are next on my ‘hopefuls’ list…

I took a late evening walk today and was lucky enough to get pretty decent views of a pair of Green Woodpeckers, which I’m always very happy to see! Walking back, I was wondering of my chances of a nightjar over the summer - I don’t know if they’ve been recorded in that area?

 
Daniel Watson
 
Avatar
 
 
Daniel Watson
Total Posts:  131
Joined  18-02-2018
 
 
 
11 May 2020 21:43
 

Very nice Oli, it is a great corner of the county indeed. I’ve yet to see Tree pipit up there this year though - gripped! There have been a number of good birds up there this spring, but still awaiting something really interesting - I fancy a Woodchat shrike.
It will be interesting to see what passes through during the autumn, an excellent and somewhat underwatched area - hope you continue to keep an eye on it.

 
John Thorogood
 
Avatar
 
 
John Thorogood
Total Posts:  46
Joined  11-02-2016
 
 
 
11 May 2020 20:26
 

Great to see such an extended list of birds present and yet a pity not to see any mention of Dartford Warbler, a bird which featured regularly on my walks on Wavering Down and Crook Peak just over ten years ago. Following two extremely harsh winters they were only seen intermittently and failed to regain a foothold. I’m sure they will return though!

 
Oli Gilman
 
Avatar
 
 
Oli Gilman
Total Posts:  56
Joined  24-11-2017
 
 
 
11 May 2020 18:44
 

I’m lucky enough to have the wilds of Crook Peak etc on my doorstep, so have made an effort to take my exercise up on the tops most days. Highlights of the last few weeks have included a splendid male Wheatear, Red Kites, Bullfinches, Tree Pipits, Green Woodpeckers, Blackcaps and Common Whitethroats as well as a regular cast of Linnets, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Stonechats, Buzzards and a very healthy Raven population.

It’s been lovely to find such a variety of bird life not far from the back door and have managed to identify 44 species up until now - fingers crossed for many more!

Today proved harder going (I blame the wind), but produced a very welcome second sighting of a Red Kite, which disappeared in the direction of Axbridge/Cheddar being mobbed by corvids.