Hi James, Welcome to Somerset, and to a great area for birding. I used to ring in Blackmoor Vale, so know the area a bit. Also there is a new Frome Birders Whatsapp group that’s very active in lockdown, which you might be interested in. Please email me on .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) if you would like to talk more.
Hi all,
I’ve only just created an account on the forum and wanted to post my sightings for South Somerset (well, around Wincanton) for the last couple of weeks. I’ve moved around a lot the last few years so I’m quite out of touch with what is rare and what is common in Somerset. I’m hoping to cover more ground in the area now that I’m more settled, but still don’t know loads of sites. Is anyone else birding around this area or can suggest some places to visit?
In the fields and hedgerow between Wincanton and Shepton Montague I’ve heard one singing yellowhammer when out for a run on 24th April. I’ve not had a chance to properly bird these fields, but look promising and will soon. How rare are yellowhammer in Somerset? A few swallows have gone over in the last week, and it seems at least six house martins back in territory today around my estate. Four swifts flew over on the 25th April. Plenty of chiffchaffs and blackcaps singing in and around Wincanton and also heard stock dove calling. I have heard two or three stock doves in Cucklington village last year, not sure how uncommon stock dove are in the county.
RED KITES: There have been a few posts on a local facebook page regarding red kites in South Somerset. Judging by what people are saying more than my own records, there seem to be a few territories in the area now, but I’ll keep it slightly vague. There seems to be a pair around Bruton to Batcombe area, which was present last year. There could also be a second pair around Wyke, but it could be the bruton/batcombe birds. A local birder reports three in the wincanton area, including one with a yellow wing tag V5. There could be a pair between bayford - cucklington, which would be two of the three birds reported.