Rose coloured starling - Tadham/Tealham

Jeff Hazell (Levels-birder)

Jeff Hazell (Levels-birder)
Total Posts:  609
Joined  01-12-2015

05 November 2018 20:27

For those unfamiliar with the area, or without a large scale OS map, I think the co-ordinates and directions to this maybe ST421440. Coming off the B3151 to drive across Tadham and Tealham Moors, it’s the first track ( Sand Drove) on the left after the Fir Tree Pets Hotel (kennels) that runs southwards and joins at its T-junction with White Horse Drove (track) and South Drove (track).
I looked through two large feeding flocks of Starlings on Tealham Moor this morning, one at the western end - Tealham Moor Drove (track) and the other off Jack’s Drove below Heath House, but no sign at either.

Daniel Watson

Daniel Watson
Total Posts:  130
Joined  18-02-2018

04 November 2018 16:01

Apologies for the late notification, been out in the field much of the day and phone died. There was an adult Rose-coloured starling in with Eurasian starling at the junction of White House Drove and South Drove this morning, I observed it on and off for about 20-30 minutes but the flock was often out of sight feeding in long grass. As usual there’s an appalling record shot on my twitter feed.  Had a quick look this afternoon on my way home, but numbers much lower and no sign. Worth keeping an eye open for in the Wedmore area, or, if you’re feeling optimistic - the roost at Ham Wall.