Somerset Fulmars

Jon Mattick

Jon Mattick
Total Posts:  18
Joined  12-12-2015

09 June 2018 10:42

Due to the success of this trip Dave Roberts has organised another departing from Minehead at 1230hrs on Tuesday 3rd July, for full details see my postings in General Matters.

Jon Mattick

Jon Mattick
Total Posts:  18
Joined  12-12-2015

02 June 2018 00:40

I have just returned from the Minehead sea-watching boat trip that was publicised in General matters on the message board – the main highlights of the trip were actually in Devon, in particular the visit to the Sea-bird colony at Highveer Point which is only viewable from the sea and where there are now literally hundreds of Kittiwake and thousands of Auk nests underway. Somerset highlights included the very good news that there are at least six and probably seven Fulmar nests with birds sitting at Glenthorne, (for what it’s worth I counted another 46 Fulmar nests between Valley of the Rocks and Woody Bay and didn’t even attempt counting at Highveer). There was also a Cliff ledge Ravens nest close to the Somerset Fulmars where we saw three young being fed by the adults (a Ravens nest at Hurlstone Point had already fledged).
It was apparent that very few nests in the colonies have chicks as yet and for that reason Dave Roberts is probably going to organise another trip to take place around the beginning of July when feeding flight “action” should be at a peak – I will publish details in General Matters if he does.