Wanted - gull site

Matt Slaymaker

Matt Slaymaker
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-01-2020

26 February 2020 13:14

Hi Dan,

Yes, that is really helpful and a few new sites to check out is appreciated.

I may see you up at Cheddar some time, although I do have Franklins Gull on my Cheddar list already! 

Thanks,
M

Daniel Watson

Daniel Watson
Total Posts:  107
Joined  18-02-2018

24 February 2020 18:22

Matt, you are welcome to join me at the Cheddar roost at any time (admittedly I’ve been neglecting the place of late), though smaller gulls seem to outnumber LWHG by something like 50 to 1. Decent chance of Boneys/Franklin/Laughing/Ring billed if you put the time in, Med is guaranteed (upto 5 present of late). I suspect Torr res may be a bit far, but the birds are much closer than at Cheddar, and as a result more white wingers are found there - the next 3 weeks are the prime-time for arctic gulls moving back. Later in March is good for Kittiwake and then Little gull.
Landfill sites are increasingly becoming more unusual, but there appear to be two options; there was (is?) a Viridor site near Pawlett which historically had gulls loafing in the fields closer to the A38, however I am unsure of its status - I know that Andy S and James P used to check the area, but don’t think they had much of a return. The only other option I can think of is a small landfill operated by Westcombe waste near Somerton which may or may not hold birds (pioneering Somerset birding!).
Others may have more suggestions - Taunton is passport country for me!
Hope this helps!

Matt Slaymaker

Matt Slaymaker
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-01-2020

24 February 2020 12:57

Hi everyone,

I moved to Somerset about a month ago and am working my way around, getting to know all the fantastic birding sites you guys have down here. However, there is a personal favourite I am missing…

Is there a landfill, large-gull roost or regular loafing site in the Taunton/Bridgewater area? Or do I have to head to the coast to get my Larus-fix?

Cheers,
Matt