Great Northern Diver Wimbleball Lake

Alastair Stevenson

Alastair Stevenson
Total Posts:  72
Joined  24-09-2018

01 December 2023 15:51

No sign this morning of the Diver or Goldeneye. The Diver was seen on Tuesday but I don’t know if it was looked for after that.
Also around the Lake this morning: flock of12 Siskins, a Snipe, 5 Red-legged Partridges, and a pair of Stonechats, all birds not often seen at Wimbleball.

Alastair Stevenson

Alastair Stevenson
Joined  24-09-2018

27 November 2023 21:07

Also 2 Oystercatchers together flew across Lake today and then another bird later so possibly 3 birds. Unusual here.

Alastair Stevenson

Alastair Stevenson
Joined  24-09-2018

27 November 2023 17:08

A Great Northern Diver was found by Paul Jennings last Friday afternoon in Ruggs Bay south of Bessom Bridge. It was also present the next day further down the eastern shore. Not seen Sunday but I relocated it today lunchtime in Cow Moor Bay in the North west corner. The bird was diving frequently and submerged for long periods so easily overlooked. Best viewed from the main path south of the sailing club though distant. There is a bench just to the left of the path as you start leaving the sailing club area which is ideal.

Also a female Goldeneye which I found on FrIday morning from the bird hide when doing my monthly WeBS count I relocated today halfway up the Hurscombe Reserve today but always distant.

Other birds around the lake in the last few days Chifchaff, Treecreeper, Siskins, Goldfinches, Nuthatch, 4 species of Tits, Great Spot, Redwings, Fieldfares. Also not seen by me but others Shag, Kingfisher and Firecrest heard. Overwintering wildfowl on the lake continue to be very low compared to years gone by.