Odd wader on Brue - possible juvenile Broad-billed Sandpiper?

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Total Posts:  30
Joined  06-12-2015

11 August 2017 10:50

Thanks Paul

Paul Clement

Paul Clement
Total Posts:  18
Joined  30-11-2015

10 August 2017 20:39

Hi Andy, i was at the scrape about 2 weeks ago, water levels were high, ie no mud showing, Alan Ashman, i think suggested no pumps to be run for several weeks and we have had quite a bit of rain since, i have “decided” not to venture there until September

Andy Mears

Andy Mears
Total Posts:  30
Joined  06-12-2015

09 August 2017 19:33

Not a sighting I’m afraid but Stephen did ask for feedback…
I’d be amazed if it wasn’t a BBS, Stephen.  Guess you’ll just have to submit full details and see what the Somerset rare men think.
Even your comment ‘very odd looking’ fits very nicely.
Wish I’d found it!
Andy

Ps. Would be interested to hear the current water level on MH Scrape if anyone knows

Stephen Moss

Stephen Moss
Total Posts:  39
Joined  02-12-2015

05 August 2017 11:28

Very odd looking wader on the mud halfway along the Brue from Highbridge Clyce on falling tide this morning, with redshanks and turnstones. Dunlin size with white belly and flanks, light streaking on upper breast, white tramlines on back, dark lores, pale supercilium, dark ear-patch and streaky, slightly ginger-tinged crown - but no obvious sign of crown stripes. Long straight bill (1.25 x longer than head) with dip at tip and greyish legs. On return home it looms remarkably like this image of a Broad-billed Sandpiper, but as I have never seen one anywhere in the world I would appreciate confirmation. I wondered also about eastern race dunlin but the underparts seem very wrong. We then lost the bird as it flew downstream. Also non BP adult Mediterranean Gull on the mud. http://birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/broad-billed-sandpiper