Birding near Bath

Dominic Singleton

Dominic Singleton
Total Posts:  10
Joined  23-06-2016

08 August 2017 09:05

South Gloucestershire rather than Somerset, but there’s some pretty decent birding in the Marshfield area - mainly farmland species so if you’ve been going to Ham Wall , it will provide variety.  Species I have seen this year include Little Owl, Corn Bunting, Yellowhammer, Whitethroat, Stock Dove, Grey and redlegged partridge, spotted flycatcher, skylark, linnet, golden plover, lapwing and wheatear as well as some more standard fare.  It’s also a good place to hear quail, though it’s difficult to see one.  It’s also one of the best places in the Bath area to see hares. Quite a few rarities have cropped up in the recent past, I understand, but before I started birding it.  If you find the Marshfield Diary page of the Birds of South Gloucestershire website that will give you some idea of locations within the Marshfield patch. Hope that helps.

Nathan Slee

Nathan Slee
Total Posts:  1
Joined  15-06-2017

17 June 2017 16:26

Hey all, I’m new to the forum so I apologise if this has been asked already or if it’s in the wrong place.

I’m looking for suggestions for good birding sites around the Bath area, especially hides.

I do frequent Hamwall but sometimes it feels like a bit too much of a drive. I also walk solsbury hill at least once a week and always see buzzards and a pair of kestrels! This week I saw a single red kite up there too.

Any suggestions would be great, even better if anyone wanted to buddy up?

Thanks all ????