Question and Suggestion

Rob Grimmond

Rob Grimmond
Total Posts:  86
Joined  07-09-2015

04 June 2016 15:44

Unfortunately, it’s difficult to please everybody!

Steve Balcombe

Steve Balcombe
Total Posts:  10
Joined  10-12-2015

04 June 2016 10:33

For what it’s worth, as a user of internet forums and discussion groups since the 1990s, I find the upside-down presentation of posts within a thread really unnatural, to the point of being irritating. I can’t believe I’m the only one!

Rob Grimmond

Rob Grimmond
Joined  07-09-2015

26 April 2016 22:23

Thanks for your comments, Nick.
I agree the Cheddar thread became quite unwieldy; that’s why I closed it!
We are all still in a learning site as far as the Forum is concerned and certainly welcome any comments or ideas.
Rob

Nick P. Williams

Nick P. Williams
Total Posts:  23
Joined  13-12-2015

26 April 2016 16:44

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your prompt and positive reply.

Whilst it is swings and roundabouts, I’ll wager that most regular readers are more interested in the most recent posts.  After all, the Title of the most frequently viewed Forum is “Latest Sightings’ so I think that’s rather a good pointer.

From my perspective, I’ve probably been forced to view the 4 December 2015 Cheddar Res posting more than 100 times and, frankly, I gained all the information I needed from the original view!  grin

But for anyone interested in historic sightings they can simply scroll down as far as they wish.  Or alternatively ‘researchers’ can also use the search engine too.

Change is always a bit uncomfortable so I guess it may take a week or two for people to get used to the new display format but I do think that it will make the Forums more readily accessible for most users, especially those who access the resource from a smartphone.

Thanks again and best regards,

NPW

Rob Grimmond

Rob Grimmond
Joined  07-09-2015

26 April 2016 15:55

It’s a matter of swings and roundabouts. If you reverse the order and have most recent posts first, then you have to go to the bottom and scroll back up to see all posts.
We have been considering whether to change the order of posts, following comments from a number of people in recent months. So all of the Forums have now been changed to show the most recent post within a thread first.

Nick P. Williams

Nick P. Williams
Total Posts:  23
Joined  13-12-2015

25 April 2016 10:45

Greetings Somerset birders,

Why are the Topics listed on the Forum in chronological order with the latest first, yet the Posting themselves are displayed with the oldest first?

For example, currently the Cheddar Res string is at the top of the Forum but when you open it you are shown a Posting from 4 December last year! And then you have to continue through four pages to get to today’s contribution.

My suggestion is that the Moderators simply apply the same convention to the Postings as they do to the Topics, i.e. latest first.

Good birding to all,

NPW