Levels Starlings roost

Dave Nevitt

Dave Nevitt
Total Posts:  10
Joined  13-12-2015

18 January 2018 21:44

The main Starling roost tonight and last night was north of Canada Farm, between there & South Drain. Great views by parking at the bridge just south of the Peat Moors Visitor Centre (no parking currently at the Centre as it is a building site) and walking west 500m along the drain. Also Woodcock there at dusk. Also today male Firecrest half way round the Discovery Boardwalk from Ashcott Corner old car park, 4 Bitterns from Noah’s hide. Someone reported the Ring-necked Duck from the NW corner of Noah’s Lake viewable from the main path (old railway line) but it wasn’t there when we went very soon after & we didn’t meet anyone else who had seen it.

Frankie Macrow

Frankie Macrow
Total Posts:  197
Joined  11-10-2016

17 January 2018 15:45

Had a fantastic display from the relative comfort of the hide at Catcott yesterday. Chap from Dorchester I watched them with reckoned over a million and thought it possibly the best display he’d seen in 40 years. Also several cattle egrets with little en route between Shapwick Road and Peat Centre - apologies if same flock reported by James, not sure where Blakeway is.

Dave Nevitt

Dave Nevitt
Total Posts:  10
Joined  13-12-2015

15 January 2018 13:00

I haven’t seen any posts on this for some time and I have just spent 2 days on the Levels so thought I would provide an update. The Starlings have been a bit unpredictable recently - having been at Ham Wall VP1 for some time they now seem to be in the process of moving. Yesterday there were a few (maybe 50,000) from VP2 that then moved to roost on Waltons just E of Torr View hide. The vast majority were moving west over the Meare water tower to an unknown destination - maybe at the N end of Meare Heath or perhaps further on. No doubt someone will check out the latter destination in the coming days.