Shapwick Heath

Chris Weedon

Chris Weedon
Total Posts:  65
Joined  12-12-2015

19 January 2018 20:57

Plenty of egret movement today around Meare Heath, with a flock of 10 Cattle + 1 Little, moving between the grassed fields by houses way to the north behind the scrape and trees above the digger clearing the ditch going north of Noah’s Lake, giving excellent views; and about 8 GWE’s.

Three Whooper Swans seen from the main track, two of which flew off together north from Noah’s at 1545h, leaving the third feeding in the open, way over to the south (left of main hide).  Marsh Harriers made regular crossings of Noah’s, seemingly simply to keep the several million Wigeon (and Pintail) on edge.  What a fabulous sight those guys are at the moment.  A vast carpet of duck, so gorgeous in the sunshine.

No sign of Ring-necked Duck while I was there.  Huge Starling movements as the light fell, swinging east then west to roost at the west end of Shapwick Heath - ish.  And a bonus fly-over romantic couple - Glossy Ibis with a Cattle Egret.  Wondered which country I was in for a second.

Martin Sage

Martin Sage
Total Posts:  457
Joined  07-12-2015

18 January 2018 13:27

Ring necked Duck back in the NW corner of Noah’s this morning. My first sight of it since Dec 31. The WeBS count on Monday could take a while!

Jeff Hazell (Levels-birder)

Jeff Hazell (Levels-birder)
Total Posts:  609
Joined  01-12-2015

14 January 2018 17:03

14-Jan-2018 (morning)
4 adult Whooper Swans on Noah’s Lake, 2 distantly from the new raised hide and 2 close-in among the reedy islands alongside the main track. Several thousand duck, mostly Wigeon, including 50+ Pintail and a few Tufted, but no sign of the recent R-n Duck.
Glad I don’t have to do this months WeBS here, I expect Martin Sage could do with some help!

Chris Newman

Chris Newman
Total Posts:  36
Joined  04-01-2016

02 January 2018 16:07

Huge numbers of duck on Noah’s Lake today, primarily Wigeon (possibly 2000?) but also including 70+ Pintail. The drake Ring-necked Duck was present in the NW corner and one adult Whooper Swan was also visible from the railway track. In addition there was a Firecrest moving low along a ditch on the western arm of the boardwalk. Earlier at least 14 Cattle Egret were still at Sharpham.